Joint Local Representation Advisory Committee Meeting

13 September 2016

 

 

 

Minutes of Joint Local Representation Advisory Committee Meeting

held on Tuesday 13 September 2016

 

 

Meeting commenced at 6.32pm

 

Members:

 

Frank Breen

Morris Hanna OAM

Michele McKenzie

Max Raiola

Melissa Brooks

Vera-Ann Hannaford

Victor Macri

John Stamolis

Darcy Byrne

Sam Iskandar

Morris Mansour

Caroline Stott

Ted Cassidy PSM

John Jobling OAM

Julie Passas

Rosana Tyler

Tony Costantino

Linda Kelly

Max Phillips

Jeanette (Mei) Wang

Mark Drury

Alex Lofts

Vittoria Raciti

Monica Wangmann

Simon Emsley

Lucille McKenna OAM

Adriano Raiola

Chris Woods

 

Other Attendees:

 

Richard Pearson, Administrator

Rik Hart, Interim General Manager

Peter Gainsford, Director Corporate Services

Nellette Kettle, Director Innovation & Strategy

Simone Schwarz, Director Service Delivery

Josephine Bennett, Director Community Services

Cathy Edwards-Davis, Director Public Works

Wal Petschler, Director Major Projects & Engineering

Phil Sarin, Director Planning & Environment

Popy Mourgelas, Manager Corporate Governance, Ashfield

Tanya Whitmarsh, Manager Governance & Risk, Marrickville

Rad Miladinovic, Coordinator Governance & Administration, Marrickville (Minute Taker)

 

1.         Welcome by the Administrator

2.         Acknowledgement of Country

3.         Apologies           Frank Breen, Max Phillips and Vittoria Raciti

4.         Disclosures of Interest:    Nil

5.         Election of Chairperson: 

          Darcy Byrne was appointed as Chairperson for this meeting.

 

6.         Presentation on Mainstreet Revitalisation Quantitative Data Study and Expert Advisory Panel (relating to Item 3)

 

L0916 Item 1       Integration & Innovation Plan - Progress Report

Recommendation:      STAMOLIS / HANNA

THAT:

1.      the report be received and noted;  and

2.      the organisational structure be provided to a future Joint LRAC meeting as soon as possible.

 

CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

 

 

 

L0916 Item 2       Local Democracy Framework - Establishment of Strategic Reference Groups

Recommendation:      LOFTS / JOBLING

 

THAT:

1.       the report be noted and LRAC members provide any feedback;

2.       each LRAC nominate one member to form the appointment panel with the Administrator; and

3        the seniors and the LGBTI activists and issues be incorporated in the Access and Inclusion Reference Group.

 

CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

 

 

Amendment:      EMSLEY / KELLY

 

THAT the seniors and the LGBTI activists and issues be incorporated in the Access and Inclusion Reference Group.

 

CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

 

 

Amendment:      STAMOLIS / HANNAFORD

 

THAT Council create a:

·                planning and urban design strategic reference group;

·                heritage strategic reference group;  and

·                Community Services reference group.

 

The above amendment was LOST.

 

 

L0916 Item 3       Mainstreet Revitalisation Quantitative Data Study and Expert Advisory Panel

Recommendation:      BYRNE / WOODS

 

THAT Council:

1a.     note that the study demonstrates a comparative lack of patronage of Woolworths Balmain, as the primary anchor tenant for Darling Street Balmain, which is having a detrimental flow on effect for other local businesses and resulting in a loss of retail trade for the area;

1b.     invite the CEO of Woolworths and the owners of the Woolworth's Balmain site to meet with the Administrator to discuss how to improve the store's performance as an anchor tenant for Darling Street, including the potential for collaboration with Council on parking provision and use of Council’s planning instruments to facilitate an upgrade of the premises or increased competition by attracting new supermarkets to the area;

2.       write to Peninsular Partnership members thanking them for their participation and convene a meeting with them to plan an ongoing collaboration between Council and Partnership members;

3.       approach Urban Growth NSW seeking a matched funding contribution to allow for the facilitation and ongoing work of the Peninsular Partnership for a period of 6 or 12 months;

4.       write to the planning Minister seeking a forum for Council and Peninsular Partnership members to discuss with him the opportunities and threats posed to the Balmain / Rozelle economy by redevelopment of the White Bay Power Station and Glebe Island;

5.       request a meeting for Peninsular Partnership members with Destination NSW to discuss how to promote tourist visitations to Balmain and Rozelle as well as the possibility of involving the Balmain and Rozelle communities in the Vivid Festival;

6.       work with Peninsular Partnership members to coordinate a meet of publicans, restaurateurs, bare and café owners to consider a hospitality strategy for the area;

7.       note the offer from Peninsular Partnership members including Rachel Ward and Bryan Brown to collaborate with Council to initiate an annual a Balmain Festival, to showcase local artistic talent and attract visitors and convene a meeting to discuss how to progress this;

8.       investigate how to facilitate a revitalised Balmain Markets either at the existing location or elsewhere;

9.       explore the total investment of nearby shopping mall operators in retail marketing and promotions to provide context to Council’s economic development investment and consider hypothecating a portion of revenues from parking meters to economic development and promotion as part of the upcoming Budget;

10.     investigates opportunities to increase parking in Balmain and Rozelle;

11.     investigates assessment of the retail area including shops, shopfront and public footpaths to suggest recommendations for improvements; and

12.     conduct a landlord engagement forum and review planning and regulatory mechanisms.

 

CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

 

 

Amendment:      STAMOLIS / STOTT

 

THAT Council:

 

·                investigates opportunities to increase parking in Balmain and Rozelle; and

·                investigates assessment of the retail area including shops, shopfront and public footpaths to suggest recommendations for improvements.

 

CARRIED

 

 

Amendment:      McKENZIE / BROOKS

 

THAT Council conduct a landlord engagement forum and review planning and regulatory mechanisms.

 

CARRIED

 

 

MATTER ARISING:    Equitable Parking Restrictions Across the LGA

 

Recommendation:      HANNAFORD / STAMOLIS

 

THAT Inner West Council investigate parking restrictions across the LGA to make this equitable for all main streets and all residents of and visitors to the LGA.

 

The above recommendation was LOST.

 

 

L0916 Item 4       Establishment of an Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel for the Inner West Council

JOBLING / CASSIDY

 

THAT Council:

1.       establishes an independent hearing and assessment panel to be known as the Inner West Planning Panel (IWPP) as outlined in this report and in accordance with the details contained in the following procedural documents - Operational Guidelines, Code of Conduct  and Charter (Attachments 1, 2 and 3);

2.       requests the Interim General Manager arrange an Expression of Interest to recruit and appoint a pool of suitably qualified and experienced independent experts and community members to the IWPP;

3.       upon its commencement, delegates authority under Section 377 of the Local Government Act 1993 to the Panel to determine all matters delegated to it, as per Attachment 5;

4.       at the relevant time, gives public notice of the commencement of the IWPP and cessation of the LPP;

5.       notes the estimated recurring cost of the IWPP of $163,800 per annum to be funded from the existing LPP budget, and allocate additional funds to cover the estimated recruitment cost of up to $30,000;

6.       requests officers provide an annual report to Council on the activities and outcomes of the IWPP in the previous 12 months;

7.       THAT the IWPP, as proposed, be implemented as a provision arrangement to manage risk while the Inner West Council is under administration, to be reviewed at the end of the administration period by the incoming elected council;

8.       Replace Point 10 of the site inspections section on page 51 with: “site inspections are open to the people within the notification area”;  and

9.       Delete “boarding houses” from Point 7 of the proposed delegations appearing on page 47 of the agenda.

 

CARRIED

 

 

Amendment:      CASSIDY / McKENZIE

 

THAT development applications not required to be determined by a full council meeting shall be referred to the Inner West Planning Panel upon a request to the General Manager by three Councillors or in the period of Administration, by three LRAC Committee members.

 

The above recommendation was LOST.

 

 

Amendment:      EMSLEY / McKENZIE

 

THAT the IWPP, as proposed, be implemented as a provision arrangement to manage risk while the Inner West Council is under administration, to be reviewed at the end of the administration period by the incoming elected council.

 

CARRIED

 


 

Amendment:      MACRI / BROOKS

Replace Point 10 of the site inspections section on page 51 with: “site inspections are open to the people within the notification area”.

CARRIED

 

 

Amendment:      WOODS / PASSAS

Delete “boarding houses” from Point 7 of the proposed delegations appearing on page 47 of the agenda.

CARRIED

 

 

Reports with Confidential Information

 

L0916 Item 5       Live Streaming of Council Meetings

Recommendation:      KELLY / PASSAS

 

THAT Item 5 be deferred pending the provision of detailed information on the legal implications for councillors and members of the public who are to be recorded and  broadcasted.

 

CARRIED

 

 

 

Request to Introduce an Item of Urgent Business

 

Julie Passas sought to raise a matter in relation to responsibilities of LRAC members.  The Chair considered the background to this request  and subsequently ruled that the matter was not an item of urgency and therefore, further consideration would not proceed.

 

 

 

 

 

Meeting concluded at 9.32pm.