Header Logo

Council Meeting

28 March 2017

 

 

 

Minutes of Ordinary Council Meeting

held at Ashfield Service Centre on 28 March 2017

 

 

Meeting commenced at 6:30pm

 

Present:

Richard Pearson

Administrator

Rik Hart

Interim General Manager

John Warburton

Deputy General Manager Community and Engagement

Michael Tzimoulas

Deputy General Manager Chief Financial and Administration Officer

Kelly Loveridge

Group Manager Procurement & Fleet

Wal Petschler

Group Manager Footpaths, Roads, Traffic & Stormwater

Tanya Whitmarsh

Group Manager Governance

Gabrielle Rennard

Acting Group Manager Community Services & Culture

Ian Naylor

Manager Governance & Administration, Leichhardt

Katerina Maros

Governance Officer, Leichhardt (Minute Taker)

 

 

 

Public Speakers: see last page of these minutes.

1. Acknowledgement of Country by Chairperson

“I acknowledge the Gadigal and Wangal people of the Eora nation on whose country we are meeting today, and their elders past and present.”

 

2. Notice of Live Streaming of Council Meeting

 

The Administrator advised that the Council meeting was being streamed live on Council's website and members of the public must ensure their speech to the Council is respectful and use appropriate language.

 

3. Disclosures of Interests

 

The Administrator declared that he had no declarable interests in any matter listed on the business paper.

4. Confirmation of Minutes

 

 

That the Minutes of the Council Meeting held on Tuesday, 28 February 2017 be confirmed.

 

 


 

 

 

C0317 Item 1      WestConnex Stage 1 (M4 East) draft addendum to Urban Design & Landscape Plan

 

The Administrator determined that Council:

 

1.    Receives and notes this report; and

 

2.    Forwards to Sydney Motorway Corporation any comments additional to those discussed in this report as a late addendum to Council’s submission.

 

 

C0317 Item 2      Minutes of the IAG Meeting held 9 March 2017 and Minutes of the LRAC Meeting held 14 March 2017

 

The Administrator determined that:

 

1.       The Minutes of the IAG Meeting held on 9 March 2017 be noted; and

 

2.       The Minutes of the LRAC Meeting held on 14 March 2017 be noted.

 

 


C0317 Item 3      Adoption of Affordable Housing Policy Following Public Exhibition

 

The Administrator determined that Council:

 

1.   Adopts the Affordable Housing Policy and the Position Paper: Best Practice in Value Capture;

 

2.   Submits the following recommended notice of motion to the National General Assembly (NGA) of Local Government (18-21 June 2017) to be held in Canberra, namely that the Federal Government give urgent consideration to measures to improve housing affordability in areas affected by high levels of housing stress such as Sydney's Inner West, including taxation and other non-supply side mechanisms that are currently inadequately utilised in initiatives to improve housing affordability;

 

3.   Amend Clause 2.3 of the Policy to add an additional target group being shift workers; and

 

4.   Amend the Policy in relation to the timing principle under Clause 2.5.2 as follows:

      Delete “acquired for redevelopment after a nominated date related to the  implementation of the policy” and replace with “that is subject to a proposal for a rezoning or variation to planning controls where the application is received after the Policy is approved by Council. For applications that have been made or are under consideration prior to the Policy’s approval, this Policy will provide guidance as to the quantum of affordable housing contribution that is considered to be appropriate”.

 

          The amended clause shall state:

         

          “Timing – in consideration of reasonableness and equity, the value capture requirement should apply to land that is subject to a proposal for a rezoning or variation           to planning controls where the application is received after the Policy is approved by Council. For applications that have been made or are under consideration prior to the        Policy’s approval, this Policy will provide guidance as to the quantum of affordable           housing contribution that is considered to be appropriate”.

 

 

C0317 Item 4      Addressing Domestic and Family Violence in the Inner West

 

The Administrator determined that:

 

1.         Noting that Inner West Council is working in partnership with local community groups, organisations, networks and key national associations to address domestic and family violence, that the following priorities are funded in the 4-year Operational Plan 17/18, 18/19 19/20 and 20/21.

 

a.         $20,000 program funding annually to continue and expand the Speak Out Awareness Raising Campaign

 

b.         $15,000 program funding annually to continue the delivery of the Love Bites program in local secondary schools across the Inner West

 

c.         $25,000 program funding annually to support Council’s significant partnership in guiding the implementation of the Inner West Respectful Relationships Project

 

2.       Noting the partnerships between Inner West Council and the three Police Local Area Commands to present White Ribbon Day, that Council allocate $18,000 annually for four years as program funding to continue Council’s partnerships with local community organisations, the three local Police Local Area Commands and local domestic violence committees to deliver local White Ribbon Day events.

 

 

C0317 Item 5      Council Response to Draft Central District Plan

 

The Administrator determined that Council:

 

1.       Receive and note this report; and

 

2.       Make a submission on the Draft Central District Plan based on the contents of this report and issues raised at the Council Meeting on 28 March 2017.

 

 


C0317 Item 6      Planning Proposal Request - 183 & 203 New Canterbury Road, Lewisham

 

The Administrator determined that Council:

 

1.       Support the planning proposed request for 183 & 203 New Canterbury Road, Lewisham to rezone and set development controls for the land;

 

2.       Forward the planning proposal to the Minister for Planning for a Gateway determination in accordance with Section 56 of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979;

 

3.       Request that it be delegated plan making functions in relation to the planning proposal; and

 

4.       Resolves to develop site specific planning controls to apply to the future development     at 183 New Canterbury Road for inclusion in MDCP 2011 Part 9.36 (Commercial   Precinct 36) and that these be publicly exhibited concurrently with the planning   proposal.

 


 

 

C0317 Item 7      Draft State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) for Educational Establishments and Child Care Facilities

 

The Administrator determined that Council receive and endorse this report which forms the basis of the submission to the Department of Planning and Environment on the draft SEPP for Educational Establishments and Child Care Facilities.

 

C0317 Item 8      Proposed Amendments to Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979

 

The Administrator determined that:

1.       Council receive and note this report including the draft submission at Attachment 1; and

2.       That the submission be sent to the Department of Planning and Environment. 

 

 

C0317 Item 9      Statement of Vision and Priorities

 

The Administrator determined that:

 

1.       The report be received and noted; and

 

2.       The Statement of Vision and Priorities, inclusive of the amendments, be adopted as an   interim document until the development and implementation of the Community       Strategic Plan.

 

C0317 Item 10    Homelessness Policy

 

The Administrator determined that Council:

1.       Adopts the Homelessness Policy and incorporates its strategies and actions in future       operational plans; and

 

2.       Investigates how to address the issue of homelessness in extreme weather events.

 

C0317 Item 11    Proposed Name of the New Marrickville Library Site

 

The Administrator determined that Council endorse the proposed naming of the new Marrickville Library site as Patyegarang Place in recognition of Bajaragang or 'Patyegarang', an Aboriginal woman who lived at the time the first fleet arrived in Australia.

 

C0317 Item 12    Local Traffic Committee Meeting held on 2 March 2017

 

THAT the Minutes of the Local Traffic Committee Meeting held on 2 March 2017 be received and the recommendations be adopted subject to the following change to Item 16 Improving Garbage Truck Access in Oxford Street, Newtown; 

That the words Monday 5am – 10am be removed so that the “no parking zone” applies at all times. 

 

 

C0317 Item 13    Inner West Council Investments as at 28 February 2017

 

The Administrator determined that the report be received and noted.

 

 

 

Procedural Motion

Administrator determined that Item 15 and Item 17 be brought forward and considered at this time.

 

 

C0317 Item 15    Administrator's Minute: Marrickville Public School Fee Assistance

 

THE Administrator determined that Council fund the tipping of asphaltic concrete as part of the re-design of the school yard at Marrickville Public School to a maximum sum of $1,000.00 to be funded from the 2016/17 Community Grants Contingency Fund.

 

 

C0317 Item 17    Administrator's Minute: Parramatta Road Public Transport Improvements – Guided Electric Transit System

 

The Administrator determined that Council:

 

1.       Request the NSW State Government to jointly fund a Preliminary (Stage 1) Feasibility    Study to examine the provision of a centre-running Guided Electric Transit System          along Parramatta Road, between Strathfield and the Sydney CBD;

 

2.       Offer to provide dollar for dollar funding, to a maximum of $80,000, toward a joint Council/State Government Preliminary (Stage 1) Feasibility Study of a centre-running        Guided Electric Transit System along Parramatta Road, between Strathfield and the Sydney CBD; and

 

3.       Invite other Councils along the Parramatta Road Corridor, between Strathfield and          Sydney CBD, to contribute toward the Preliminary (Stage 1) Feasibility Study.

 

The Administrator moved into closed session at 8.45pm to allow Council to consider items of business containing confidential information. Members of the public were asked to leave the chamber.

The Administrator returned to open session at 8.54pm to read out the recommendations from the Closed Session and resolve as follows in relation to Items 14 and 16.

 

 

C0317 Item 14    Trial Extension of the Current Swimming Season at Fanny Durack Aquatic Centre.

 

The Administrator determined that:

 

1.       Confidential Attachment 1 to the report be treated as confidential under the provisions     of Section 10A(2) of the Local Government Act 1993 as it relates to a matter specified     in Section 10A(2)(d)(i) of the Act.

 

2.       Council endorse a trial extension of the operations of the Fanny Durack Aquatic Centre till the end of April 2017 and receive a report in June 2017 to summarise and review         the trial extension. 

 

3.       Council writes to the Head Petitioner to advise of Council’s decision.

 

 


 

 

C0317 Item 16    Procurement of Asset Management Consultancy Services

 

The Administrator determined that:

 

1.       Confidential Attachment 1 to the report be treated as confidential under the provisions     of Section 10A(1) of the Local Government Act 1993 as it relates to a matter specified     in Section 10A(2)(d)(i) of the Act.

 

2.       Pursuant to section 55(3)(i) of the Act, the Council resolves that a satisfactory result        would not be achieved by inviting tenders for the provision of the subject asset          management consultancy service for the consolidation of asset registers due to the          following extenuating circumstances:

 

                   a.       The services to be performed are specialised, particularly due to the                                  proprietary nature of the software to which the services relate;

                   b.       There is insufficient time to conduct a tender and still have the service                     performed in order to meet the legislative requirement to complete                                       Council’s end of financial year statements ;

                   c.       Given that the provider is a TechnologyOne company, the services can be                       performed in a manner that integrates into the broader ICT system Council                      is procuring which consequently brings with it overall efficiencies that                                 alternate providers are not capable of delivering.

                   d.       The proposed revaluation, asset management plans and strategy are                                driven by the consolidated data within the new strategic Asset Management                       System which only Jeff Roorda and Associates can provide.

 

3.       Council endorse the process that has been undertaken and endorse Jeff Roorda and      Associates to provide asset management consultancy services including Data Health         Check, Revaluation, Maturity Assessment, Works Program and Statutory Reporting for   a Consolidated Asset Register for council.        

 

4.       Council delegate authority to the Interim General Manager to finalise the terms of, and    execute, a contract with Jeff Roorda and Associates.

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 8.55pm.

 

 

 


 

Public Speakers

 

 

Item 1:

Alex Lofts, Ashfield LRAC

Summer Hill

 

Richard Dudley – Smith

Annandale

 

John Lozano

Haberfield

 

 

 

Item 2:

John Stamolis, Leichhardt LRAC 

Balmain

 

Alex Lofts, Ashfield LRAC

Summer Hill

 

 

 

 

 

 

Item 3:

John Stamolis, Leichhardt LRAC 

Balmain

 

Wendy Hayhurst

Petersham          

 

John Nicolades

Redfern

 

Hal Pawson

Petersham

 

Eleanor Pridham

Camperdown

 

Rita Martin

Petersham

 

James Gilronan

Dulwich Hill

 

Alex Lofts, Ashfield LRAC

Summer Hill

 

 

 

Item 5:

Frank Breen, Leichhardt LRAC

Birchgrove

 

John Stamolis, Leichhardt LRAC 

Balmain

 

Michelle Hacking

Balmain

 

Alex Lofts, Ashfield LRAC

Summer Hill

 

James Gilronan

Dulwich Hill

 

John Lozano

Haberfield

 

 

 

Item 7:

Alex Lofts, Ashfield LRAC

Summer Hill

 

 

 

Item 9:

John Stamolis, Leichhardt LRAC 

Balmain

 

 

 

Item 10:

Alex Lofts, Ashfield LRAC

Summer Hill

 

 

 

 

 

 

Item 12:

Brian Crump

Newtown

 

Grant Flanagan

Summer Hill 

 

Michelle Hacking

Balmain

 

 

 

Item 13:

John Stamolis, Leichhardt LRAC 

Balmain

 

Frank Breen, Leichhardt LRAC

Birchgrove

 

 

 

Item 17:

Alex Lofts, Ashfield LRAC

Summer Hill